Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bus Etiquette; Or The Bus Is Ridden By Lots of People, Not Just You!

So, I don't know how to drive.  That's right, I'm a 31 year old woman who doesn't know how to drive a car.  When you can't afford to buy one, learning how to drive one tends to end up at the bottom of your to-do list. 

As a result, I've spent nearly 17 years riding the bus in Winnipeg.  Well not, you know, just riding buses.  I mean, I've done other things in those 17 years.  But I have ridden on a bus an average of 4 out of every 7 days for the last 17 years.  That's A LOT of transit time.

My point is that I think I can fairly be considered an expert on bus riding etiquette.  And there is an etiquette.  Anytime you share a space with other people there are certain things that you all expect from each other.  The following is, I think, a fairly exhaustive list.  But if you think of one that I've left off, feel free to add it in the comments below.  ;-)

1.  Get up out of the handicap seats.
This rule doesn't just apply to moving for people in wheelchairs.  If you are able bodied and healthy please stand up and move for the following people: 
- the elderly
- people using crutches, canes, walkers or any other mobility assistance device
- very young children, like 1-4 years (little, uncoordinated legs have a hard time standing on a moving bus)
- strollers (I'll talk more about strollers later.)
- pregnant women (a caveat here - make sure the woman is either, A - OBVIOUSLY pregnant, as in she's skinny, skinny, skinny every where except her lower abdomen or, B - Says, "I'm pregnant, please let me sit down."  If you think a woman might be pregnant, but you're not sure, offer her the seat anyway and just don't tell her why.  She'll appreciate your kindness either way.)

2.  Remember that we're listening.
Whether you are talking to the person right next to you, a couple seats over, or you're on a cell phone, please remember that the other passengers can hear your conversation.  So, at least try to limit the cursing and inappropriate (ie, racist, sexist,) remarks.  We also don't necessarily need to know the intimate details of the hot date you had last night.  Your sex life doesn't interest us.  I'm sorry, but it's true.  And I'd rather my child got her sex education from me as opposed to some weird stranger on a bus.  I don't want to hear the words, "Mommy, what does, "smokin' hot ass mean?" Thank you very much.

3.  Control, or at least try your hardest to control, your kids.
Being a parent is, at times, a little like being an animal wrangler.  I understand this.  And I know, from experience, that it can be tough to keep your kids seated, calm, and happy.  You know what, I'd settle for seated.  It's so dangerous for little kids to be running around on a moving bus.  I once saw a little boy go flying forward and smash his forehead into one of the poles.  The blood everywhere was not a sight I'd like to see again.  Plus, if your little one is up and running around he's a lot more likely to end up tripping someone else.  Also, don't completely ignore your child while he or she is auditioning for their role in Cirque de Soleil by hanging upside down from the hand straps.

4.  Strollers may be necessary, but have some common courtesy.
As I've mentioned already, I don't drive.  So I have always taken my daughter on the bus.  When your children are babies trying to carry them around, along with all their gear is impossible.  A stroller is an absolute necessity and if busing is your only option, the stroller must come on the bus.  I totally get that.  But don't leave them in the aisle!  Or mostly in the aisle.  Or, crammed in between seats.  The front seats flip up for just that reason.  If someone is sitting there, politely ask them to move.  If they won't (I've seen this happen) engage the driver's assistance in making them move.  The front seats on the bus are supposed to be earmarked for people with mobility issues and parents with strollers.  There are signs and everything.  So, don't take no for an answer.  If I'm on the bus with you, I'll take your side, I promise.

5.  If your kid is in school, they don't need to be in a stroller.
Closely related to number four, this is kind of a general parenting pet peeve of mine, but it pertains to bus etiquette too.  If your child is old enough to be in nursery school (3 or 4 years old) they should be able to walk for long enough that you can leave the stroller at home.  If you REALLY  feel like your child is going to need a stroller because you're going on some kind of marathon walk after you get off the bus, the child can still be out of it while you're on the bus.  Fold it up so that it takes up less room.  Your 4 year old can sit on the seat.  Oh, and try to make it an umbrella stroller instead of one of those gigantic strollers they make for twins and triplets!

6.  Say, "Thank you" to the bus driver. 
This isn't a big thing, just a bit of politeness, really.  (I mean, come on - if you're Canadian, it should be in your DNA!)  The driver works hard dealing with the public all day (customers can be real jerks sometimes).  He or she deserves a polite thank you when you're getting off the bus.  They've done you a service after all.

So, if you follow these guidelines everyone's ride will go a lot smoother.  Except if it's a scorching summer day and there's no air-conditioning.  Then, nothing helps.  ;-)

Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment