Saturday, August 27, 2011

More Poetry and Ramblings; Or Why Emily Dickinson's Legacy is Probably Safe...

Just some more random rambling thoughts.  Brought on, no doubt, by the still magical world of trees, sunshine and wind that reminds us of all things primal.



If I were a tree...

- if I were tall and strong - if my roots were sunk so deep in the soil that rain and storm and howling winds could not move me from my purpose - if I knew how to bend and dance when the wind tried to knock me down - if I knew that I could create greener more abundant life after scorching flames tried to destroy me - if I sought out the sun - if I knew that living in the light was nourishment and not just a way to highlight cracks and flaws - if I knew the ageless beauty of myself -

...if I were a tree how bravely could I live my life.


Will You Dance Tonight?


The wind howls its low keening rage.

The trees are skeleton silhouettes against the purple black; their fingers bending and grasping to catch the pelting snow.

It is a night when wise people stay inside and shutter the windows; cuddle up to loved ones, say a prayer and hope to wake to sunshine.

But the unwise are called to dance. They leave their warmth and chase down the ghosts who waltz in the cold.  The frozen air can numb even ancient wounds.

Will you dance tonight? Will you shiver in the breeze with the trees?

Or will you stay covered and hidden? Will you keep yourself veiled away in safety and slumber, pretending the wind does not wail a warning?


In the Heat and Wind


There are worlds that exist just around the edges of our own.

They live just a half second outside of our own time; just a fingernail’s breadth past our dimension.

Sometimes you see them glimmer in the wavy air of a blisteringly hot day, or you may hear the voices of their people on the wind, because the wind never did learn about boundaries.

And, of course, we visit them in our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment