Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Moment in a Park; Or How the World Can Sometimes Make You Gasp

As a mom, it is impossible not to be daily aware of the beauty surrounding us in the world in which we live.  There's nothing more gorgeous than my daughter's sleepy, morning smile; or her bright laughing eyes; or the fact that she giggles like mad over the word "fart". 

So, I am regularly reminded that the world is a beautiful place.  But sometimes, the sheer perfection of it can take my breath away. 

The other day my daughter and I visited the English Gardens at Assiniboine Park.  We were sitting on a bench.  It was a lovely bench with clean, flexible wood and a curve that fit my spine exactly.  Sitting on the bench, we were shaded by a big beautiful elm tree that was in full, green, leafy bloom.  The size and density of the tree made me think that surely it had stood in this spot since before my Great-Grandparents came to this land.

From within the protection of the cool shade, we could watch the sun sparkle merrily on a bright pond that was decorated with lovely purple water lilies.  Beyond the pond we could look out onto row upon row of multi-coloured flowers.  Flowers that were expertly cultivated to appear random and wild.  I knew that the flowers in the garden eventually gave way to the rolling green lawns and woodchip pathways that were a part of the giant greenspace that was ours to explore for free.

I was struck in that moment how TRULY blessed we are.  Here we live in this place of freedom; in this country that allows us to voice our opinion about everything from the mundane to the momentous without fear.  Here we live in this beautiful city that is home to so many cultures, proof positive that peace between differing peoples is possible.  And here I was, sitting in a place of truly astounding beauty, watching a bright blue butterfly dance elegantly and lazily amongst the flowers.

The moment was so perfect and so brilliant that I felt suddenly afraid of losing it, in that peculiarly human way we have.  But it was a silly fear, for here it is nearly a week later and my mind and heart can recall the moment with perfect clarity. 

And I feel brightened and blessed by it once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment